Friday, January 1, 2010

The Tyranny of the Urgent

"We live in a constant tension between the urgent and the important. The problem is that the important task rarely must be done today or even this week. Extra hours of prayer and Bible study can wait. But the urgent tasks call for instant action - endless demands pressure every hour and day." - Charles Hummel on what he calls "the tyranny of the urgent".

Does this not hit you in the very heart? It's my constant struggle and my deepest frustration with being a woman, an employee, a daughter, a friend, and a christian!

My new years goal is very simple this year: Constantly remind myself that my purpose in LIFE isn't to meet a deadline, gain the approval of my bosses or the world, or even to read my Bible every single day... my purpose to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, and strength. If God is for me, who can be against me?

At the end of my life, if I've loved my God and received His love for me with open arms, I will have accomplished enough.

That's the only goal I need. I pray that keeping this in the forefront of my mind will alleviate a portion of the stress and anxiety that I prescribe myself each day. The world's opinion of me pales in comparison to the accomplishment of having peace and joy through my relationship with Jesus.

Love y'all deeply - even if I'm too busy to let you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment