Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Beauty is Fleeting

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised" Proverbs 31:30

In an article I read today (located here) I read something that, although the concept is so simple, still struck a chord with me. As a woman, I am right there with the best of them as far as being self critical goes. Especially as a single woman, I notice that I am more prone to being self critical now than when I was in a relationship. Women are constantly concerned with how we are perceived. What are a few common questions that women have running through their heads?

Am I as pretty as the next girl?
Does this outfit flatter my figure?
Do I laugh too much?
Is my personality just a little too "out there"?
Am I anything special, or do I just fade into the crowd?
Am I the kind of girl guys want to marry?
Am I too stuffy and uptight?

I could go on for days, and I'm sure each girl has a few questions of her own that she could add. The article pointed out that each of these questions can be put into one of two catagories:

Questions of Charm (personality)
Questions of Beauty

How appropriate that God so directly focused on these two areas when he pointed out that charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting. But then he reminds us - but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised! As I come up on "wedding season" and graduation I am more conscious than ever about how I look and act! I will be meeting so many new people and have so many photos taken. It is a great reminder to me that my job here is simply to fear the Lord and work on my relationship with him. My somebody for someday will recognize that in me and be attracted despite the huge zit on my cheek and the fact that I go slightly psychotic after 10 pm.

And THAT my friends, is something to WHOOP about!

1 comment:

  1. "Well I'm looking for a girl who's virtuous
    'Cause God laid it on my heart to search for this
    So I open up the Word to the book of Proverbs
    The 31st chapter tells me all about her
    Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain
    A woman who fears the Lord, she ain't playin'
    Hear what I'm saying 'cause I'm saying it clearly
    She's the kinda girl I gots to have near me"
    - old school DC Talk

    I know that's random, I just thought I'd leave a comment on your blog since I know how much you need/want/like those...

    ReplyDelete