Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 1 - Best Trip of 2009

So I saw this on Jessica's blog (see Coffee and Blue Jeans link to the right...) and absolutely loved the idea! An (I'm assuming) pretty popular blogger named Gwen Bell proposed that everyone do 30 days worth of blogs related to certain topics she outlines... I think it's a great way to make sure we end 2009 really appreciative of all the blessings is offered... so I am joining that bandwagon!

December 1 - What was your best trip in 2009?


In May of 2009 I traveled to India for 2 weeks with Raju Samuel and several other amazing Christian men and women from Galveston/Texas City. This trip was "the best of 2009" for so many reasons. For anyone who knows Raju, he is truly the most shining example of a servant of Christ. In addition to founding and directing Mission Galveston (the local homeless ministry in Galveston), Raju owns 3 orphanages and an adult Christian counselling center in his hometown of Kottayam, India. If you ever doubt the power of prayer, spend 1 day with Raju and see what kind of mountains God moves when Raju prays. It will absolutely take your breath away. Raju asked me to join him and several other adults on a two week trip to lead a children's Bible camp for his orphanages, as well as several other local orphanages in southern India. Not fully knowing what I was getting into - I signed up, bought my plane ticket, and sailed across the world. I had the opportunity to teach 13 year old girls all about the fruits of the spirit and God's love for them (with the help of a translator - so intimidating!!) I remember at one point in the trip I walked by myself to the backside of the campground meditation chapel and just sat - I looked out over the rolling hills, the palm trees, the little huts with their smoke stacks, and just prayed out loud to God. He was there. I'm not sure there are many times I've felt that physically close to God. God is doing amazing things in India - his people are hearing His name and believing the truth. Their hearts are so ready to trust and so thirsty for knowledge. It really changed my world. I want so badly to be where God is working! I know he is working here in America as well - but there was just something different about India. Something powerful and indescribable. For the first time in their lives, 51 children and teenagers believed that nothing they could do would ever be good enough to get them into Heaven... but they had joy and peace because they knew and believed that Jesus had come and paid the price for their sins, they were justified. God was glorified and lives were changed - kids found a deeper peace and joy than they ever knew could exist, and I received some strong assurance of my life purpose from God. It's God's world - and it is my job to share Him with them. Amen!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to harass you next time I saw you after not seeing you post for awhile. Glad you finally did!

    I hear from alot of people who go on mission trips state how close they feel to God afterwards. It seems that all the noise of the city, ones responsibilities, and commitments just melt away to reveal the truth that is oneness with God. Enjoyed the post, and looking forward to thirty days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and your blog is beautiful! When can we play? We should go Christmas shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete