Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 4 - Best Book

December 4 - What book - fiction or non - touched you? Where were you when you read it? Have you bought and given away multiple copies?

The book that has been most influential in my life during 2009 is a book I'm not quite finished with yet (it's been a long process with a few interruptions) - Breaking Free by Beth Moore.

I first heard about the book one Sunday night during church - a guest speaker encouraged everyone to read the book if they felt there was anything in their lives hindering them from finding complete freedom in their relationship with Christ. While I think that criteria pretty much encapsulates 99.9% of the general populous, I had a few specific areas of my life I felt I had not completely surrendered to God. These things were holding me back from finding true enjoyment and rest in my relationship with Christ.

Anyways, long story short, I bought the book and began memorizing the first verses which Beth Moore asks us to memorize - Isaiah 61:1-4. It was here that I discovered my favorite verse of 2009 (I wish that were a blog challenge topic)!

"They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."

This verse hit so hard with me because it is such a beautiful picture of the role I want to play in the kingdom of God! I want to be an oak - tall (got that part down), outstretched, and magnificent - a reflection of God and his heart. I want my actions to be righteous and my life to be a display of just how good, and loving, and strong the God I serve is! I just love the idea that my purpose was to glorify God - a life he planted where he needed it FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF showing Himself to his children. An amazing concept - although the implications hit hard. That is a tall order for me and my constant ups and downs. Good thing God is glorified through my righteousness AND through his forgiveness of my many many sins!

Anyways - that was just one thing that I loved about the book. I'm sure I'll find more things as I work on finishing it!

On a slightly different - but still related - note... my flight to Oklahoma City was cancelled today due to (get this) SNOW in Houston! I was on my way to see Beth Moore (the author of this book), Kay Arthur, and Priscilla Shearer at the "Deeper Still" conference in OKC. Bummer! Luckily we were able to transfer our registration to the June concert in Denver :) But YAY for having an unexpected weekend to relax and get caught up of some things!

Oh, and no, I haven't given away multiple copies, but I've suggested others read it multiple times!

No comments:

Post a Comment